Our client in Ottawa, Ontario is looking for an Intermediate Electrical Engineering Technologist specializing in Building Systems to join their team!
This individual will work on a variety of projects, particularly those for educational, federal, commercial, and institutional clients. This individual must specialize in building systems, which include: lighting, power, telephone, data, fire detection and alarm, lightning protection, and communication systems. They will use their skills to complete designs, specifications, cost estimates, studies, site reviews, investigations and reports, project management, and contract administration.
Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Work with a team of project managers, engineers and technologists
• Perform electrical site investigations and surveys
• Prepare design calculations for lighting, power distribution, fire alarm, public address and intercom systems
• Develop electrical concept reports, condition reports and construction budgets
• Develop electrical designs for building systems including drawings and specifications
• Review codes and standards and obtain preliminary approvals where appropriate
• Coordinate with industry, other disciplines and clients
• Represent the electrical portion of a project during the contract administration stage and carry out shop drawing reviews, prepare site instructions and CCNs, review progress draws, etc.
• Perform site inspections and prepare field observation reports
• Setup AutoCAD drawings as per the company’s standard
• Prepare AutoCAD drawings from sketches, mark-ups and/or design
• Upon completion, verify CAD drawings against such sketches to ensure accuracy of work
• Manage project tasks within assigned time and budget constraints
• Ability to complete projects independently when required
• Maintain familiarity with current techniques, codes, and standards to sustain and improve technical skills
• Assist in researching new systems, resources, analytical processes, procedures and working practices to identify and implement changes to increase efficiency, productivity and overall profitability
Required Skills and Qualifications will include:
• Electrical Engineering Technology Degree or Diploma from an accredited academic institution, with a specialisation in AutoCAD as it pertains to Electrical Building Systems
• CET designation, or able to obtain
• Strong understanding of OBC, NBC, OESC, CEC and NFPA codes and standards
• Ability to work in a complex and fast-paced team environment, dealing with multiple projects and clients
• Sound communication skills (oral and written)
• Strong sense of initiative and ability to prioritize tasks
• Strong desire for advancement and professional development
• Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills
• Reliable vehicle access and full G level license is required
• Ability to generate drawings in Revit
• Bilingual (English and French) including proficiency in technical translations is preferred
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Our client is a multidisciplinary, employee-owned firm with a lengthy track record of industry presence. Their strong commitment to delivering quality results for their clients--as well as their commitment to investing in their people--has earned them a solid reputation for excellence in the Ottawa region. They offer a competitive compensation package, Friday afternoons off, excellent benefits, and shareholder opportunities!