Our client is looking for a Design Manager experienced in completing projects from the bidding process through to turnover to the client.
Our client is currently in pre-qualification phases of bidding on several key infrastructure and civil projects in Western Canada. Their ability to mobilize and deploy expert engineering, construction and skilled trades professionals combined with their immense vendor and supplier relationships and contractors have earned them the spotlight that continues to shine on their strategic growth mandate for their Canadian and North American operations.
We have been engaged by our client partner now to consider building a team consisting of a Senior Project Manager, Project Controls Manager and a Design Manager to form the bid/proposal team for key infrastructure project considerations in Western Canada (BC and Alberta). Initially you would be located in Montreal where their Canadian headquarters are located and working in conjunction with the Country Manager be tasked with building and submission of proposals for their pre-qualified bids. You would have to relocate to the Montreal area and be situated there for a period of 6-12 months for the completion of the bid process and once a project is awarded be available to relocate and/or travel to the location or site where the project are being slated for.
The Design Manager will be in charge of the project’s engineering structures and will manage the design, computations, methods and planning of construction activities throughout the entire execution phases of the project. The ideal candidate has a strong background in construction design and design build environments in heavy civil and transport infrastructure and has excellent problem solving and leadership skills.
Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Assists in the preparation of RFP/RFQ in collaboration with the proposal team
• Is responsible for the technical coordination of the Project
• Works closely within the design and construction team in order to manage and ensure time awareness and technical accuracy of detailed designs
• Supports, liaises and advises regularly with client, sub-contractors and suppliers in regards to the design of the project by using technical expertise
• Coordinates and leads technical and contractual meetings in collaboration with the PM, underlines technical irregularities and finds solutions
• Files and oversees the distribution of contractual Technical Specifications to site offices
• Collaborates with PM in defining the policy to be adopted for the preparation of the engineering design
• Gathers and checks the specifications of materials/goods as required by Technical Specifications
• Coordinates and supervises the correct preparation and filing of technical documents (drawings, reports, plans, letters, estimates)
• Verifies the quality control plan and draws up the operative procedures relating to construction activities
• Ensures the design process follows local legislation, health and safety regulations, quality procedures, standards and codes of practice
• Ensures design information is of high quality and follows with project timescales in collaboration with PM by developing and maintaining scheduling systems
Required Skills and Qualifications will include:
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering field
• 15+ years of experience as Design Manager in large construction projects mainly in heavy civil transport infrastructure such as highways, roads and bridges (over 500ML $ value) also with JV
• Excellent understanding of Autocad, Revit, Aconex, BIM, SAP and Microsoft Office
• The ideal candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, the ability to inspire and motivate a team and has a results-orientated approach.
• Fluent knowledge of English is a must. Spanish is an asset. Italian is a plus
• Must be willing to travel or relocate to client sites or projects in Canada or USA
Our client is a global leader in Engineering and Construction of large scale, technically complex and market impacting civil, infrastructure, power, energy, facility, buildings and industrial structures for clients across Europe, Asia, South America, Middle East and most recently in North America. They are an EPCM having delivered in 2015 a construction book value of over $40B CDN with a total workforce of 11,000 employees spanning 5 continents. With a rich history spanning over 100 years of success and listed on one of Europe’s leading public stock exchanges they have entered the Canadian marketplace as an experienced construction, engineering and project management group to capitalize on current and future transport infrastructure, heavy civil, power and energy and buildings works across the country.