Our client in the London, Ontario area is looking for a Director of Engineering to join their team!
THIS INDIVIDUAL MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH CREATING AUTOMATION SOLUTIONS FOR MANUFACTURING
This individual will:
• Lead a high-performing engineering team through effective resource management and fostering an environment of continuous learning and development.
• Seek out innovative technologies and engineering methods to meet customers’ present and future machine requirements.
• Direct the team in the design of automated machines which meet customers’ specifications, project timelines and budget requirements.
• Develop, implement and monitor engineering department standards, policies and processes.
Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Provide direction to the engineering team which includes Mechanical Design Group Lead, Controls Group Lead, Systems Engineering Group Lead, Systems Engineers, Applications Engineers, Mechanical Designers, Controls Designers, PLC Programmers, and Robot Programmers and Simulation
• Provide technical leadership to the business by making recommendations to enhance quality, productivity and safety of our product
• Develop leaders at key positions within the department structure
• Develop and implement standards and processes for engineering work to be performed efficiently, accurately and to a high quality level while minimizing re-work
• Manage the preparation, review and approval of feasibility studies, designs, costing and contract technical terms and conditions
• Direct, review and approve machine concepts, designs and changes
• Consult with the sales team to enable them to demonstrate technical expertise/knowledge when presenting to potential customers and develop possible concepts as required
• Lead design concept meetings and ensure designs will meet intent
• Ensure the engineering team is working effectively and efficiently by developing and maintaining department operating standards
• Coordinate with the Project Managers and Engineering Group Leads to allocate appropriate engineering staffing resources to achieve project outcomes
• Identify and problem solve with team work inefficiencies to maximize department’s output
• Arrange contractors if required to meet workload demands
• Negotiate best pricing with vendors, and resolve vendor problems
• Ensure technical team follows standard parts lists when purchasing components, where possible
• Meeting weekly with group leads to review area initiatives/issues/complaints/processes/inefficiencies
• Meeting weekly with President to review engineering initiatives/issues/complaints/processes/ inefficiencies
• Ensure department is effectively staffed and partner with Human Resources to recruit and select new staff.
• Conduct annual performance reviews; proactively resolve performance issues; and take appropriate disciplinary actions following company policies and procedures
• Assess employees’ skills and abilities and implement training and development plans
• Review employee timesheets on a weekly basis
• Approve vacation leave, overtime and personal leaves
Required Skills and Qualifications will include:
• Relevant Engineering Degree from an accredited institution
• 10+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment
• P.Eng Designation preferred
• Experience in the industrial automation field
• Computer expertise in: Windows 7, Microsoft Office
• Use of Engineering/Business Software: Eplan, Solidworks, Epicor
• Understanding of machine building processes including controls, systems, and mechanical
• Knowledge of engineering behind mechanical designs/systems i.e. control systems (hardware and software), PLC, networks, power systems/architecture, controls architecture, process knowledge/expertise i.e. welding/cutting, MIG, TIG, assembly, vision systems, sensors, inspections and quality control procedures
• Financial analysis expertise to develop and monitor project budgets and negotiate pricing
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Available to perform job tasks outside of normal working hours
• Occasional travel for client and other business meetings