Our client in Sarnia, Ontario is looking for a Senior Scientist to join their team!
NOTE: This individual will work 12 hour shift, including some weekends and holidays
The Senior Scientist will need to work effectively with the Quality, Operations, R&D, and Engineering departments. The primary focus of the role will be to support the discovery and improvement of bio-based chemical processes from renewable resources. Strong communication skills and a positive attitude are a must. The Senior Scientist will promote a strong health, safety and environment culture and will help to reinforce the standards of food grade quality as laid out by the company. The Senior Scientist will participate in plant Health and Safety programs and conform and contribute to the Lean Manufacturing principles that the plant employs as well as ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 18001 and FSSC22000 standards.
Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Monitor and troubleshoot chemical processes using a variety of instrumental analytical techniques on raw materials, in-process samples and finished product.
• Hands-on experience with analytical instruments and software packages to characterize chemical product and in-process samples, including Waters 2695s with Empower, Perkin Elmer ICPs with WinLab, Metrohm or Dionex branded IC, and other common analytical laboratory instrumentation.
• Analytical method development, validation and optimization.
• Work with Chemical Analysts to implement and train on new or optimized methods.
• Auditing of Chemical Analysts on Quality Control testing.
• Prepare lab reagents and standard solutions according to procedures and safety protocols.
• Maintain quality assurance of lab instrumentation through control charting.
• Perform calibrations, preventative maintenance and troubleshooting on lab instrumentation.
• Perform regular inventory checks and provide the Lab Coordinator a list of required supplies.
• Write and update lab SOP’s.
• Perform administrative duties such as data entry, maintaining records, forms and logs and writing experiment reports.
Required Skills and Qualifications will include:
• BSc in Chemistry
• 5+ years of experience in an industrial method development environment.
• Experience in method development.
• Experience with ICP-OES, HPLC, IC or Antek N/S Analyzers.
• Experience with lab equipment maintenance and troubleshooting.
• Experience working in an industrial lab.
• Strong problem solving and leadership skills.
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong multi-tasking skills.
• Proficient with MS Excel and Word.
• Ability to work in a fast paced, changing environment.
• Flexible to work or be on call at odd hours.
Our client has won multiple awards for their commitment to sustainability and environmental initiatives. Their proprietary technology enables them to provide an efficient and environmentally effective substitution for petrochemicals to be used in a variety of applications. Based in Southwestern Ontario, they are poised for significant market position and growth.