Our client is looking for an Intermediate to Senior level Structural Engineer to join their team in Calgary Alberta! This individual will be working on large commercial projects.
You will perform analysis and design of the more complex structural systems for various construction projects. You will review working drawings and ensure elements of design, model and detailing adhere to relevant jurisdictional codes, coordinate the work with architectural, mechanical, and electrical engineering designs and the other project team members. You may lead small, less complex projects.
Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Designs the more complex structural building systems to accurately incorporate the architectural design and other engineering discipline systems while adhering to code and jurisdictional requirements.
• Establishes the parameters for the computer analysis and design software used in modelling the project systems and elements.
• Utilizes CADD to review working drawings and schedules.
• Makes alterations to working drawings as required.
• Performs fundamental engineering calculations to determine systems configurations and capacity.
• Coordinates with other disciplines and key stakeholders, as required, to exchange information, provide project status updates, and coordinate resources.
• Utilizes industry best practices and established standards to ensure production adheres to corporate and professional expectations.
• May research new methods for review and acceptance by senior staff.
• Performs site surveys and field reviews to accurately document existing and new construction conditions.
• Liaises with onsite contracting forces, attends construction meetings and reviews construction quotes and claims.
• Begins to modify current engineering methods to identify and implement changes to increase efficiency and productivity.
• Maintains familiarity with current techniques and developments to sustain and improve technical skills.
• Assigns and outlines scope of work of more junior staff.
• Provides guidance and mentoring to junior staff members and reviews structural working drawings to make edits, alterations and recommendations
Required Skills and Qualifications for this position will include:
• Post-secondary education equivalent to a university degree in Structural Engineering
• Greater than 6 years but less than or equal to nine years structural engineering and design experience.
• Requires an understanding of inter-related work processes to be able to adapt to differing assignments.
• Provides technical information to fellow colleagues in a clear and understandable manner.
• Draws on a number of known options to solve problems and to develop improvements.
• Computer skills to produce effective spreadsheets, reports, documents and presentations.
• Knowledge of CAD software, including AutoCAD and MS Office applications
• Adaptable to set and prioritize work with varying exceptions. Able to work with diverse personalities and styles.
• Communicates with clarity, verbally and in one on one or group situations, or over the telephone.
• Communicates well in writing by composing clear documents; facility with editing and/or proof-reading is required.
• Advanced understanding of quality standards relative to electrical design and planning, engineering fundamentals and principles.
• Knowledge of Electrical Safety Code regulations for relevant jurisdiction.
Our Client is a highly reputable integrated architectural, engineering and planning firm with a global presence. They offer excellent opportunities for advancement and personal growth in a friendly, dynamic atmosphere.