Our client is looking for an Engineering Manager who specializes in 1,4-Butanediol (BDO). This individual must have experience with chemical catalysis/distillation. This position could be located in either Sarnia, Ontario or Plymouth, Minnesota.
This individual will be responsible for the 1,4-BDO Process Engineering: basic design, detailed design, project support, commissioning and start-up and on-going operations process support.
Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
1. Process Design
o Collaborate with the research and development group to translate laboratory/pilot plant findings into Commercial Plant process designs.
o Provide feedback to the R&D group to help focus the research efforts and communicate information needs.
o Familiar with Aspen Plus to rigorously model new and existing processes in coordination with the Process Modeling Engineer.
o Produce PFD with heat and material balance information using data from simulations. Lead the design and revision of P&IDs.
o Lead the HAZOP, PSA, FMEA and Operability reviews to ensure proper design.
o Familiar with PSM, SIL and applicable codes and standards
o Using PFDs, experience, and design tools, create design specification sheets for a wide variety of equipment, including distillation columns, Catalysis Reactors, tanks, etc…
o Develop equipment list and Instrumentation list
o Work with Procurement to define RFP/RFQ from vendors.
o Establish lay-out of major equipment
o Develop Process Control Philosophy and critical control parameter for process operability and process safety.
3. Process Optimization:
o Responsible for Process optimization on the future BDO commercial units.
o Provide Technical Support to plant operations, Process trouble-shooting.
o Functionally accountable for BDO Process performances.
o Think and solve problems creatively and contribute to company’s strong culture of innovation and resourcefulness.
The Required Skills and Qualifications for this position include:
• BS in chemical engineering
• PE or P.Eng license
• 5+ years of Process design experience in chemical catalysis/distillation environment.
• Understanding of lean operating philosophy
• Familiarity with large capex gated execution systems
• Must be fluent in English.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret common engineering packages, project reports and legal documents.
• Ability to respond to common inquiries from various suppliers.
• Chemical catalysis/distillation experience
• Must be safety focused, a self-starter, highly organized, and able to work well within all levels of a fast-paced organization
• Excellent communicator, both in speaking and writing
• Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
• Hard worker.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
• Eligibility to work in the US (no visa sponsorship).
• Eligibility to travel in foreign countries (25% average, sometimes 50%).
Our client has won multiple awards for their commitment to sustainability and environmental initiatives. Their proprietary technology enables them to provide an efficient and environmentally effective substitution for petrochemicals to be used in a variety of applications. Based in Southwestern Ontario, they are poised for significant market position and growth.