Our Client is currently seeking a highly experienced Construction Estimator with a background in heavy civil projects to join their team in Calgary.
The duties and responsibilities associated with this position are as follows:
• Provide leadership, motivation, development and mentorship to maintain a strong estimating department
• Possess the ability to complete conceptual and schematic estimates from limited information
• Analyze the project and estimate requirements and establish a plan for developing the estimate
• Must be comfortable liaising with clients and design teams
• Review the scope of work, identify subcontractor scope packages
• Secure subcontractor tenders, check subcontractor tenders for accuracy and coordinate content and incorporate it in the general estimate
• Prepare the tender package including tender form, schedules and attachments, obtaining signatures, and obtain all insurance and bonding submittal requirements
• Prepare complete and accurate takeoff and estimates of work including general condition items
• Analyze drawings and specifications, determine the duration and cost implications and incorporate them into the estimate
• Identify innovative bidding opportunities and review them with the Senior Pre-Construction Manager
• Provide pricing for change orders accurately and timely when required
• Maintain a complete and accurate trade list and know who is looking for work, develop trade relationships
• Assume a mentoring role with junior estimating staff
• Always act with the utmost professional integrity with the best interest that requirements are being met.
The ideal Candidate will possess the following combination of skills and experience:
• 8-10 years of experience in estimating infrastructure, bridges, water & wastewater
• a College or University degree (Engineering or Construction Management preferred) or a diploma in Civil Engineering Technology
• be highly organized, achievement oriented with strong personal drive, relationship oriented with focus on both internal and external customer needs, with the ability to independently perform technical tasks quickly and accurately.
• A sound understanding and technical foundation of various building types, traditional subcontractor work scopes, construction systems and methods, construction specifications, building codes and requirements, construction tendering practices and contract types.
• Detail oriented with strong analytical, math and computer skills.
• Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, with a working knowledge of Auto Cad.
• Good memory, quick thinking and ability to relate current requirements to previous experience and pricing knowledge.
• Ability to plan, organize and complete estimating work independently
• Success in preparing estimates and winning tenders that result in profitable projects.
• Ability to work hard and calmly under pressure to achieve fixed deadlines, and the flexibility and dedication to work extended hours when required.
• Ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
• Experience working on projects valued up to $200M
• An excellent reputation with subcontractors and suppliers.
Our Client is a highly reputable integrated architectural, engineering and planning firm with a global presence. They offer excellent opportunities for advancement and personal growth in a friendly, dynamic atmosphere.