Our client is seeking a skilled Mechanical Engineer/Designer to join their growing team in Calgary.
This candidate will primarily be involved with the design of building systems for a diverse variety of projects (institutional, commercial, residential, and industrial) while also acting as a technical resource and mentor within the group.
Duties and Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Plans, implements and leads mechanical design projects to determine resource requirements, staff allocation, project timelines and budgetary requirements.
• Reviews construction drawings to ensure all codes, and jurisdictional requirements, are complied with, and makes edits as required.
• Utilizes CADD to review working drawings and schedules. Generally, directs less senior staff to make alterations.
• Routinely checks and reviews mechanical engineering. Performs fundamental mechanical engineering calculations to determine systems configurations and capacity.
• Oversees workloads and provides staff supervision to ensure that work is done accurately, efficiently, and complies with policies, procedures and standards as well as best working practices.
• Builds and maintains positive relationships with colleagues, consultants, and key stakeholders to ensure projects run smoothly and to resolve concerns promptly and efficiently.
• Provides guidance to engineering staff members on more difficult problems and methods of approach. Reviews mechanical working drawings to make edits, alterations and recommendations, as required.
• Researches new methods and establishes departmental practices and specifications.
• Assigns and outlines scope of work of more junior staff. Advises on technical problems and reviews work assigned to staff for technical accuracy.
• Works closely with the Project Manager and other key stakeholders to ensure projects are constructed on time and within budget. Liaises with onsite contracting forces, attends construction meetings and reviews construction quotes and claims.
• Researches and sources new systems and resources, analyzes processes, procedures and working practices to identify and implement changes to increase efficiency, productivity and overall profitability. Maintains familiarity with current techniques and developments to sustain and improve technical skills.
• Attends meetings as necessary and liaises with various stakeholders to deliver presentations, coordinate resources, determine project criteria and provide information as requested.
The Ideal Candidate will have the following Skills and Qualifications:
• Post-secondary education in Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology
• 5-8+ years of experience
• P.Eng designation or CET
• Requires the ability to improve work processes and teams.
• Supervises related processes and people by leading work or project teams.
• Requires specialized interpersonal skills to resolve situations with colleagues where there may be some level of conflict, stress or uncertainty.
• Provides solutions by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required.
• Utilizes decision making skills to determine the best use of resources and operational processes.
• Adaptable to set and prioritize work with varying exceptions. Able to work with diverse personalities and styles.
• Provides technical information to fellow colleagues in a clear and understandable manner.
• Advanced computer skills to produce effective drawings, develop concepts and prepare reports and presentations. Knowledge of CAD software, including AutoCAD and MS Office applications.
• Communicates with clarity, verbally and in one on one or group situations, or over the telephone.
• Communicates well in writing by composing clear documents; facility with editing and/or proof-reading is required.
• Advanced understanding of quality standards relative to mechanical system analysis, and technical familiarity with calculation software and design methodologies, codes and standards.
Mechanical Engineer, AutoCAD, Mechanical System Analysis, Design Methodologies